Sunday, October 28, 2007

my cousin's wedding.

I haven't been to many wedding ceremonies in my life. None of my friends are married, so I've been to few of my cousin's wedding. The last time I went to someone's wedding was last November, it was my close cousin's wedding. He was 34 years old, and was quite successful business man. Both of the couple were from rich family, so their wedding was gorgeous. They borrowed a whole floor of hotel and buffet for their wedding. Unfortunately, bride's brother was involved in the stem cell gate as one of the important figure, which was pretty huge issue of entire nation. He was often showed in 9 o'clock TV news and headline of major newspapers, so I was more excited to see him in the flesh. Anyway, despite of family disaster, bride's family looked quite calm and happy. I was late for the ceremony, so I went into the ballroom directly. There were 30 or 40 tables in the room, and at each table, people were eating their meal while the ceremony was proceeding. We could choose our dished between steak and some kind of sea food dish. In addition of those dishes, we could have traditional wedding noodle, wishing the couple's long-lasting happiness. After that, bride and groom changed their clothes to traditional Korean garments for following korean ceremony. I remember it was all of their wedding day. I felt it was a little bit perfunctory, all those mixed elements of the wedding was confusing. I don't know why, but wedding ceremonies are becoming more Westernized, though now is the time for me to feel awkward to use the term "westernized". I hope people to make their special day more about them, not restrained by "tradition". :)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I so agree with you! Pardon my highly informal expression, but I feel the same way! Actually my boyfriend, I mean husband, fought a little about that, because he was concerned about how other people would perceive our wedding. But I wanted it to be exactly what we wanted instead of following a tradition. Of course, we borrowed ideas from a few traditions. Also, my father was very angry at me for not following the custom, even though I never lived with him!

Yeah, I also get uncomfortably talking about "westernization" because I feel guilty that our greedy commerce has caused people to follow our culture (including the mistakes like eating unhealthy, processed food). I'm unhappy with the effort to convince others to follow our ways or beliefs. I was telling some of the guys after class how ignorant we are in the U.S. because we never get much exposure to other countries, yet other countries are highly exposed to the U.S. :o What to do about all this?