Saturday, October 13, 2007

Korean English curriculum & ..

I've always answered that English is my favorite subject in school to grownups. I've started to learn English since I was 3rd grader. From the start, English was fun stuff to learn, not like the other fields which I HAVE TO learn. I, myself chose to learn English, it was fun to speak foreign language at that time and it was fun to be outstanding at this particular subject than other kids. I really enjoyed learning English, I still feel sorry to Andy, who was my very first English tutor, I picked on him a lot about his bald head (but I was 8 years old, I believe now he's living hapily with his family somewhere in the world.) Anyway, from the middle school, studying English is no more optional thing, it was mandatory for middle school kids, and the text books were absolutely stupid. Although majority of kids already knew some about English, national curriculum at that point of time, assumed that 'this kids have no idea about English'. Thanks to our numbed bureaucrats, it wasn't nesessary to study for school exam at all for entire 6 years in middle school and high school. I was just wasting my English saving from my elementary school days. High school text book was more about grammar, prescriptive grammar, so it was slightly hard to get good grade, but it was still easy. After I started to study English education in college, I couldn't help but criticize the curriculum. For instance, we had learnt about adverbial phrases like "frankly speaking", as if the phrase is an idiom in English, but I've never heard native speaker's using that phrase in my life. There's a lot of absurd stuff in English education in Korea. First of all, text books contains poor contents. Most of the times they teached American English, but sometimes they also carry British expression, or even a broken expression without any notice. Well, moreover entire nation is fanatic about English, so grownups set a high goal for students and test them in a bundle. Eventually there's natural explanation why Korean people are poor at English in spite of enthusiasm. I thought about this, and tried to convey my thoughts to my friends, that language has to be a mean. It can be a wonderful tool for everything. In fact, I could find great interest about language itself, and this ability made my travel more thrilling. Thinking about the amount of knowledgement in English, it became clear English is not just about good test score.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I thoroughly enjoyed your post. Since there is such pressure on students to learn English, I imagine the methods have been less successful than people expected. As you said, the numbed bureaucrats have no idea of how to proceed, and linguistic studies are so new compared to other scientific studies.

Do you plan to be an English teacher? Frankly speaking, I think you would make a great one! ;)